COlossians 2:6-14 [ESV]
6 Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, 7 rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.
8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits[a] of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, 10 and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. 11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. 13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.
01. Talk about our culture in general - what do we look to for security? What are you prone to look to for security?
02. Why do we struggle to find our security in Christ?
03. Read Colossians 2:9-10. What does it mean to have the fullness of Christ? Discuss what it would feel like to only have 'half of the fullness' or 'none of the fullness'.
04. Read Colossians 2:11-14. Paul talked about the circumcision of the flesh and us being in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. How should these things increase our security? How does lacking them cause us to feel insecure?
05. Read Colossians 2:15. How does knowing that Jesus made a spectacle of rulers and authorities impact you? How should this help us trust in what we have in Christ?
06. Read Colossians 2:6-7. How does Colossians 2:9-15 help us understand what a life of repentance and faith should look like?